French firm signs Greater Bay Area water project 

13 February 2019 - 12:00 am UTC

SUEZ NWS is stepping up its expansion in China’s Greater Bay Area with waste and water treatment deals in Zhuhai and Macau.

The JV between French environment giant SUEZ and Hong Kong’s NWS has agreed to DBFOM an industrial wastewater treatment project in the Gaolan Port Economic Zone (GPEZ) of Zhuhai city, southern Guangdong province.  

The first phase will have a capex of about RMB 190m, with plans to launch the second phase and expand the project into one with daily processing capacity of 25,000 tonnes, a spokesperson told Inframation Wednesday (13 February).

“It is part of our push to capitalise on China’s Greater Bay Area scheme as we continue to look for project opportunities in Zhuhai, Macau and Hong Kong,” the spokesperson said.

SUEZ NWS will take a 49% stake in the project SPV while state-owned Zhuhai Huigang Urban Resources Development will hold the remaining 51%. The project will have a concession period of 50 years while the industrial wastewater will come from a 29-hectare petrochemical industrial.

Zhuhai Huigang Urban Resources Development is a subsidiary of Zhuhai Huihua Holding, which is the only state-owned enterprise in the Zhuhai National Economic and Technological Development Zone spanning utilities, port, environment and financial services.

In Macau, SUEZ NWS also knocked out rival bids from Beijing Enterprises and CITIC Envirotech to win the tender to modernise, operate and maintain the Macau Peninsula Wastewater Treatment Plant which has the capacity to process 184,000 cubic metres per day. The company expects to sign the 55-month contract in the coming months, the spokesperson said.

The Greater Bay Area scheme is an initiative launched by Beijing aimed at improving connectivity between cities such as Hong Kong, Macau, Zhuhai and Shenzhen in the Pearl River Delta region. The ambitious plan is intended to create a world-class city cluster on its southern coast designed to rival the San Francisco and Tokyo bay areas. 

 

Read more